Our Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten

Our day started at about 5:30 am when a frog was croaking outside our window so loudly that it woke both Brandon and me up.  There are no houses behind ours, and a lot of undeveloped land, so frogs are not uncommon.  But this one was loud.  (On the other hand, it ended up pouring rain most of the day, so maybe the frog was just giving me fair warning.)


We all walked Kiddo the two blocks to his school (I love that we can walk!).  Kiddo was a little shy about going into class when we first got there, but as soon as he got to his seat and his teacher got him making patterns, he was good to go.


BG and I were sort of at a loss for what to do with ourselves while H was gone, although we didn't forget to make First Day of School Cookies.  There has definitely been a lot of fussiness from #2 ever since #1 started going to school all day.


When H came home and I asked about his big day, he described everything as either "fun" or "boring" (i.e., making patterns = fun; P.E. = boring, which he blamed on the lack of toys).  He was also a little concerned that a lot of the students in his class didn't call the teacher by her name.  "They kept saying 'yes ma'am.'  I just called her Mrs. P."

Other notable things about the day (according to Kiddo):
  • The teacher read a story about a cat that changed colors.
  • One of his classmates started talking about God while they were at lunch.
  • Someone else's mom put a poem in their lunch box. (Seriously?  My lunch notes are competing with poetry?)
  • Because of the rain, they watched Franklin cartoons instead of going to recess.  
  • The bathrooms are pretty nice.  ("Except everyone calls them restrooms.  It's so weird!")

1 comment:

Brook said...

Gah! I miss you guys so bad. I'm simultaneously delighted that you've successfully moved to such a gorgeous house, with what sounds like a great community and a great job for Brandon, and yet devastated that you still aren't within easy visiting distance of us. And, okay, maybe a teensy tiny bit jealous. You guys are awesome, and your kids are mega adorable.